Front Page Headlines
The devastating loss of life at age 15
A car driven by a 17-year-old driver flipped over on the Nergisli (Genagra)-İnönü (Sinda) road. A 15-year-old resident of Nergisli (Genagra) who was a passenger in the car lost his life in the accident.
- The immediate aftermath of the missile crash – Syrian embassy did not deny claims on the fallen missile. The Syrian embassy neither confirmed nor denied that the object believed to be a missile had been fired by Syria, in a statement to Kanal Sim.
- We are worried –21 organisations expressed concern over the construction boom in Famagusta, İskele (Trikomo) and Yeniboğaziçi (Agios Sergios).
“Santa Claus” resurrects; lets his goblins out
Director of the “Santa Claus Peace Council” Muammer Karabulut sends his people to knock on doors of state authorities following the change in government. Back in 2015, he had asked for 568 dunams of land in Kumyalı (Koma Tou Gialou) to build a “Peace Village” with a promise to create four thousand new jobs and a 150 per cent increase in tourist revenues. His project was turned down due to legal obstacles and the former Agriculture Minister Erkut Şahali had revoked his contract.
Enough! How many more will die on the roads?
15-year-old Hasan Kusetoğlulları, who was a passenger in the car driven by 17-year-old Hasan Sütlüceli died after the driver lost control of his vehicle on the Nergisli (Genagra) – İnönü (Sinda) road.
- “We missed the opportunity to stand on our feet” – Social Democratic Party (TDP) leader Cemal Özyiğit said a number of important steps that would have benefited the future of the TC community had failed to be taken following the collapse of the four-party coalition.
Night of pride for Havadis
The third “Havadis Awards Night” was held on Wednesday evening. The newspaper gave awards to people in business, arts, sports, and media. Speaking at the awards ceremony, Havadis’s editor-in-chief Başaran Düzgün said his paper will continue to serve the Turkish Cypriot community.
Night tour ends in disaster
15-year-old Hasan Kusetoğlulları who was a passenger in the car driven by 17-year-old Hasan Sütlüceli died in a horrible accident. It emerged Sütlüceli did not have a driving license.
- They placed ‘red shoes’ – A protest was staged against Greek Cypriot police following the rise in the number of women killed in South Cyprus to 37 in the past 19 years.
The area has become a construction site
Famagusta, İskele (Trikomo) and Yeniboğaziçi (Agios Sergios) are becoming concrete jungles like Kyrenia. A group of 21 organisations demand the drafting of a master plan for Famagusta, İskele (Trikomo) and Yeniboğaziçi (Agios Sergios) that will be in the interest of the public. The organisations which held a press conference on Wednesday presented a list of 16 demands. They pointed out that the area had been transformed into a construction site following the issuing of a temporary decree.
- Taşkent instead of Vouno causes anger – Greek Cypriot auditor-general says Cyprus Mail could be fined for referring to Vouno as Taşkent.
- They are those who claim it was a Scud missile – Former Greek Cypriot National Guard commander Gavriil Angelides says that the missile which crashed in the north was not an S-200 missile but could be a scud missile.
Özersay says hydrocarbon reserves in EastMed belong to both communitiesHavadis
Energy, External Security, Regional/International Relations, Negotiations Process
Hydrocarbon resources in the East Mediterranean belong to both Turkish Cypriots and Greek Cypriots, the TRNC Foreign Minister Kudret Özersay said in Geneva on Wednesday.
“These resources belong to the two communities. In other words, the Turkish Cypriot and the Greek Cypriot are joint owners of these resources, this important element cannot be ignored,” Özersay told at a meeting organized by the Association of Accredited Correspondents at the United Nations (ACANU).
He said that Turkey and the Turkish Cypriot side had launched their own activities after the Greek Cypriot side had rejected all proposals to cooperate on the issue.
Referring to a suspected Russian missile that fell in the TRNC on Monday, Özersay said this was an extraordinary situation, and that the TRNC is a safe country.
Regarding the Cyprus negotiations process, Özersay said that 50 years of negotiations aimed at reaching a federal solution had been exhausted.
“We have to find a way to live together on this island. But it is clear from the facts that this is not a federal partnership,” he said.
Özersay pointed out that years of unsuccessful talks had revealed that Greek Cypriots did not want to share power or wealth with Turkish Cypriots.
Asked where he believed the talks could begin any time soon, Özersay said that a firm grasp of the realities was needed before any talks could begin.
“The two sides need to reach an understanding on what kind of a partnership they want before talks for a political settlement can begin,” he said.
Özersay added that a federal partnership was not the only solution model and that other models could be found.
>> Hydrocarbon resources belong to both communities. This important element cannot be ignored.
>> Turkey and TCs launched activities following GC’s rejection of all proposals for cooperation.
>> TRNC is a safe country. Missile crash an extraordinary situation.
>> Efforts to reach a federal solution exhausted.
>> We have to find a way to live together on this island but it is clear from facts this will not be a federal partnership.
>> GCs do not want to share power or wealth with TCs.
>> Firm grasp of realities needed before talks can resume.
>> Two sides need to reach an understanding of what kind of partnership they want before talks can begin.
>> Federal partnership, not the only solution model.
Turkey donates $100,000 to CMPYenidüzen, Kıbrıs Postası, Kıbrıs, Havadis, Diyalog
The Turkish Ambassador to the TRNC Ali Murat Başçeri presented the Turkish Cypriot member of the Committee on the Missing Persons in Cyprus, Gülden Plümer Küçük with a donation cheque of $100,000 on Wednesday.
Başçeri said Turkey attached great importance to the work carried out by the CMP and added that as a sign, Turkey will continue its financial contributions to the committee.
Küçük expressed her gratitude to the Republic of Turkey for its donation.
She also recalled that Turkey has been regularly contributing to the CMP financially since 2006. “Turkey has also granted CMP the permission to carry out its work in 33 military locations without any limitations,” Küçük concluded.
First TC MEP Kızılyürek officially commences his dutyYenidüzen, Kıbrıs Postası, Kıbrıs, Havadis, Diyalog
The first Turkish Cypriot to be elected into the European Parliament (EP), Niyazi Kızılyürek officially commenced his duty on 2 July, it was reported on Wednesday. 61 per cent of the 751 MEPs in the European Parliament are newly elected.
Kızılyürek became a member of the European United Left-Nordic Green Left (GUE/NGL) in line with his political views as all MEPs are divided into seven groups based on their political ideology. GUE/NGL advocates for human rights, social justice, gender equality, and implementing measures against climate change under the slogan “Another Europe is Possible”.
Kızılyürek said he will vote for candidates that will develop democracy both in Cyprus and in Europe in view of the upcoming elections for the senior positions of the three EU institutions.
He also noted that he will be working towards bringing the two communities closer and bringing the Turkish Cypriots closer to the European Union during his five-year term in the EP. Kızılyürek said he will also be working towards including Turkish as one of the official languages of the EU.
Syrian officials in Cyprus neither deny nor confirm reports on stray S-200 missileYenidüzen, Kıbrıs, Kıbrıs Postası, Havadis, Diyalog
External Security, Regional/International Relations
Yenidüzen reported on Thursday that the Syrian embassy in the south had neither denied nor confirmed reports that the stray missile which crashed in Taşkent (Vouno) had actually been fired by Syria. In response to Kanal Sim’s questions, the Syrian embassy only gave room to the official statement issued by its foreign ministry which confirmed that Damascus had come under attack the same night the missile had crashed in the north.
Yenidüzen also reported that the residents of the Taşkent (Vouno) are concerned as the area of the crash site is still cordoned off and guarded by police.
Mukhtar of Taşkent (Vouno) Durmuş Aşandır questioned why the area still remained cordoned off and under police watch despite the fact experts had not discovered anything that posed a risk to public health.
He also said that residents were concerned whether fumes from the crash could lead to health problems.
“The police and authorities owe us an explanation,” Aşandar said.
A report prepared by the Turkish Disaster and Emergency Authority (AFAD) which screened the area for toxic and radioactive materials was made public on Wednesday.
The report stated that nothing that could be dangerous for human health was discovered at the crash site.
It, however, warned authorities and the public to avoid entering the crash site or coming into direct contact with any small debris that they may come across due to chemicals that such missiles contain.
The experts also stated that the debris from the missile should be transported without direct human contact.
The Ministry of Public Works and Communications issued a statement on Wednesday stating that the Ercan’s (Tymbou) airspace was safe and there was no room for concern.
It said that deliberate attempts were being made to create the perception that the airspace over North Cyprus was unsafe.
“Such claims do not reflect the truth. Ercan (Tymbou) is equipped with state-of-the-art equipment operated by experienced personnel,” the statement read.