Front Page Headlines
“November-January dangerous period”
Concerns of Covid-19 in education. The number of daily cases is on the rise and trade unions have raised their concerns about the continuation of face-to-face education. The Minister of Education Olgun Amcaoğlu spoke to Yenidüzen: “The Ministry of Health will decide whether or not to shut down schools or the country. The measures we have taken are sufficient.
- Güngör (Koutoventis) on fire again, smoke blankets Nicosia
- Demonstration today… – ‘This Country is Ours Platform’ is holding a protest today at İnönü Square.
- Case filed for ‘exceptionally’ granted citizenship!
The dumpsite is spreading poison
Nicosia and its surroundings, which had been poisoned with smoke from fires breaking out at the Dikmen (Dikomo) landfill for years, is now going experiencing the same situation with the Güngör (Koutoventis) solid waste storage facility. The smoke from the fire that broke out at the Güngör (Koutoventis) dumpsite that started the other day and is expected to last a week, blanketing the sky and leaving the capital city in poisonous smoke.
- The vote-of-confidence for the UBP-DP coalition government will be held today – The parliament will convene in an extraordinary session for a vote-of-confidence for the National Unity Party (UBP) – Democratic Party (DP) coalition government. The new coalition requires a majority of the vote to receive the green light. In the case of not receiving the vote of confidence, Prime Minister Faiz Sucuoğlu will have to submit his resignation to President Ersin Tatar.
- Fuat Oktay will be coming to the TRNC – Turkish Vice President Fuat Oktay will attend the ceremonies for the 38th establishment anniversary of the TRNC on Monday and will also attend a series of inauguration ceremonies.
This is called torture
Passengers who are fully vaccinated and who have filled in Adapass (safe pass) or Passenger Travel Forms are made to wait in line for long hours to get tested before they can enter the country. This torturous ordeal to which passengers are subjected to by the TRNC health ministry is drawing reactions. Passengers told Diyalog that they had to wait for long hours because of the shortage of medical staff. “Tourists will not visit the TRNC if the government does not solve this problem,” they said.
Gross negligence and irresponsibility
The Health Ministry, which refrains from announcing the details regarding eight-year-old Ceren’s death, continues to keep silent and is trying to cover up the incident. The officials who claim the cause of death, which shocked our society, is Covid-19, cannot explain the reasons why the child was not treated for nine hours while she was kept in the hospital. However, they do not refrain from making statements such as “despite all efforts, she could not be saved.”
- March and rally – “This Country is Ours” Platform is organising a march and a rally. The event will start at 2:30 pm and will be followed by a rally at the Önönü Square.
- The latest from our country – Pop singer Nihayet, who uses ‘Nini Mağusalı’ for her stage name, filmed a music video for her song in Maraş (Varosha). In another instance, a man was photographed on his knees, performing Friday prayers at the Gönyeli (Geunyeli) roundabout.
GC side is escalating tensions on the island & the regionYenidüzen, Kıbrıs, Diyalog, Avrupa
Negotiations Process, External Security
The Turkish Cypriot Foreign Ministry on Friday slammed the Greek Cypriot side for continuing to invest in arms and weapons, accusing it of being responsible for escalating tensions on the island and in the region.
In a written statement issued on Friday, the Ministry said that the Greek Cypriot side has been continuing with its armament programme for a while despite knowing fully well that it would lead to increased tension.
It added that the Greek Cypriot side was not only purchasing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and heavy weapons but was also not refraining from establishing military alliances with other countries against the Turkish Cypriot side.
“The said efforts and investments in armament threatens peace and stability on our island as well as in the Eastern Mediterranean region,” the statement read, reiterating that the Greek Cypriot side’s continued efforts to invest in arms and to continue to provoke the north would only serve to escalate tension.
“It is vital for the relevant countries to stop supporting the Greek Cypriot side’s policies on arms,” the statement stressed, warned that it is necessary in order so that the peaceful and stable environment on the island and in the region can be preserved.
The ministry also recalled that the Turkish Cypriot side has made and is making various constructive proposals to find solutions to the problems that affect the island and to implement confidence-building measures (CBMs) with the aim of opening channels of dialogue and finding ways of collaboration.
“Nonetheless, as long as the Greek Cypriot administration continues its armament, the TRNC together with Turkey will not refrain from implementing the necessary measures,” the statement stressed, adding that the vitality of Turkish guarantees given the Greek Cypriot side’s armament activities, has been proven once again.
In a second statement on Friday, the ministry claimed that the Greek Cypriot side has increased its civilian and military violations in the buffer zone and accused the UN peacekeeping force in Cyprus (UNFICYP) of remaining silent against them.
Recounting the violations, the ministry said the Greek Cypriot side has built an open-air cinema in the buffer zone in Derinya (Deryneia), placed 233 concrete prefabricated bunkers, which 35 of them are in the buffer zone, and built a fence in the buffer zone. The ministry also noted Greek Cypriot civilians together with UN peacekeepers were also observed carrying out an inspection to the west of the Ledra Palace hotel, where the Greek Cypriot side for a long time wanted to build a new courthouse, on November 11, 2021.
“It is unacceptable that the UNFICYP refrains from calling on the Greek Cypriot side to put an end to its violations in the buffer zone,” the ministry stressed.
The ministry also reiterated its position that the Turkish Cypriot side is willing and ready to collaborate with the Greek Cypriot side on matters that concern the buffer zone, the entire island and the region.
“As long as the UNFICYP tolerates the Greek Cypriot side’s attitude, the Greek Cypriot side will only increase its violations,” the ministry said, warning of reciprocation.
>> GC side stoking tensions on the island & the region by pursuing an armament campaign & establishing military alliances with other countries.
>> It is vital that relevant countries stop supporting GC policy on armament.
>> GC side ignoring TC side’s proposals for cooperation, dialogue & CBMs.
>> Turkey & TC side will not refrain from implementing necessary measures against GC side’s actions.
>> Unacceptable for UNFICYP to remain silent over violations in the UN buffer zone.
>> TC side is willing & ready to collaborate with the GC side on matters that concern the UN buffer zone.
CTP youth protest new gate installed at Lokmacı (Ledra St) crossingYenidüzen
The Republican Turkish Party’s (CTP) Youth Branch issued a press statement on Friday criticizing the Greek Cypriot authorities for installing an iron gate at the Lokmacı (Ledra St) crossing in Nicosia.
“We shall continue to wage a struggle for steps to be taken that will reunify our island, not that will partition it,” the statement read. The CTP youth branch pointed out that the island’s salvation lied with a solution to the Cyprus Problem and the reunification of the island. The group pointed out that the Lokmacı (Ledra St) crossing opened in April 2008 has been a good example of what co-existence could be like, serving as a ‘bridge of peace’ between the two communities.
The CTP youth branch pointed out that the ego clashes of the two leaders were affecting people on both sides of the island negatively and that the installation of iron gates at the crossing point which was shut for two days to carry out renovation works was unacceptable.
“Since Mr Anastasiades has come to the office, he has been systematically taking steps to partition the island. It is necessary to put an end to such steps that have irreparable consequences. Steps should be taken to strengthen reunification, not partition,” the group said.
It reminded that the Green Line was not a border for the EU and pointed out that such practices which aim to keep the two communities apart will not be successful.
It called on the Greek Cypriot authorities to remove the gate immediately and to correct their mistake. “What needs to be done is to correct these mistakes immediately and to reach a lasting solution on the island,” the statement read.
>> CTP will continue to take steps that will serve reunification, not partition.
>> Island’s salvation lies in a solution to the Cyprob & reunification.
>> Lokmacı (Ledra St.) crossing has been a good example of what co-existence could be like serving as a bridge of peace between the two communities.
>> Green Line not a border of the EU.
>> GC authorities should remove the gate immediately & two sides should work immediately for a lasting solution.
EC extends sanctions on Turkish drilling in the East Med.Yenidüzen, Kıbrıs, Diyalog, Avrupa
Energy, EU Matters
The Council of the EU has adopted a decision extending the framework for restrictive measures in response to Turkey’s unauthorised drilling activities in the Eastern Mediterranean on Thursday, after conducting a review for one more year until November 12, 2022.
In a statement issued from the Council, it is noted that the EU will remain able to impose targeted restrictive measures on persons or entities responsible for or involved in unauthorised drilling activities relating to hydrocarbons in the Eastern Mediterranean.
Such restrictive measures consist of an asset freeze for listed persons and entities as well as a ban on travel to the EU for listed persons. In addition, EU persons and entities are forbidden from making funds available to those listed.
Even though the Council only noted two individuals are subject to sanctions, the Turkish Cypriot dailies report that Mehmet Ferruh Akalın, who is a board member and deputy general manager at the Turkish Petroleum (TPAO) and Ali Coşkun Namoğlu, who is the deputy director of the hydrocarbon exploration division of the TPAO.
The sanctions imposed is a direct follow-up to the Council conclusions of October 14, 2019, which were endorsed by the European Council on October 17-18, 2019, when the EU reaffirmed its full solidarity with the Greek Cypriot administration. The decision to impose sanctions on two individuals were announced on February 27, 2020.
>> EU to continue to impose targeted restrictive measures on persons or entities responsible for or involved in drilling activities in the East Med.
Erdoğan: We want to see TCs in the Turkic Council
Yenidüzen, Kıbrıs, Diyalog, Avrupa
Regional/ International Relations
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan on Friday said he would like to see the “Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus” included in the Turkic Council in the coming period.
Addressing the Council during its 8th summit on “Democracy and Freedom Island” off Istanbul, Erdoğan added inclusion of the Turkish Cypriots in the Council will only enrich our union.
“I also count on your support to alleviate the isolations and embargoes imposed on the Turkish Cypriots, who are an inseparable part of the Turkic world,” Erdoğan said.
The Turkic Council was formed in 2009 to promote cooperation among countries speaking Turkic languages.
A lawsuit was filed to revoke citizenship given to the architect
Yenidüzen, Kıbrıs, Diyalog, Avrupa
Migration & Citizenship
Turkish Cypriot non-governmental organisations (NGOs) on Friday filed a lawsuit to revoke the ‘TRNC’ citizenship granted to the Turkish architect, responsible for drawing the project for the new presidential complex in the north.
Turkish Cypriot Bar Association, Turkish Cypriot Doctors’ Association (KTTB) and the Union of the Chamber of Cyprus Turkish Engineers and Architects (KTMMOB), in line with their earlier agreement on acting together, filed the case on Friday against the Council of Ministers at the Supreme Administrative Court.
In the meantime, the dailies also report that the bureaucratic procedures continue for the construction of the new complex, which will house the offices for the Turkish Cypriot leadership, as well as the Turkish Cypriot parliament.
The Council of Ministers on Friday decided to remove the ownership of the plots of land for the new complex from the Turkish Cypriot Security Forces (GKK) and allocated them to the office of the presidency.
The Council also on Thursday had authorised the Ministry of Public Works and Communication to prepare the draft protocol agreement to be signed with Ankara for the new presidential palace.